Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Sensitive Baker

Being a beautiful sunny day in Los Angeles, I decided to take a leisurely drive from the valley (SFV for you locals) to Culver City to check out The Sensitive Baker. I've seen their products in health food stores, and read reviews on yelp, and so I've been curious for some time.

When I walked in, I could smell the aroma of fresh baked bread. I was warmly greeted by Dan Irwin, who has owned the bakery with his wife for about 2 years. He was very helpful in pointing out all of the pastries, muffins and cupcakes in their display case. They all looked so good I wanted to order one of everything! I finally decided on the carrot muffin (carrot cake is one of my favorites) which was adorned with soy cream cheese frosting. I also ordered what Dan referred to as a "ding dong" type cake, which had chocolate ganache frosting and cream cheese filling. Oh baby, I can't want to chow on these! Above the display were samples of bagels and brioche buns. Brioche rolls are very similar in texture to that of a croissant. I popped a brioche sample in my mouth and instantly knew I had to buy some. They were amazing... sweet, buttery, and something hard to come by with gluten free baked goods...... FLAVORFUL!! In my opinion, Dan and his wife are expert bakers and know their stuff. And people know it, too: there were three other customers there that drove quite a distance... one couple drove 90 minutes from Lancaster.

On the way back to North Hollywood, I decided to try the carrot muffin. The cream cheese frosting was cold, creamy and not too sweet and the flavor and texture of the muffin was superb. I look forward to making a sandwich or burger on the brioche rolls, or just scarfing one down with some butter and jam.

If you live in Southern California, I highly recommend checking The Sensitive Baker out. They have baguettes, pizza crusts, bread sticks... you name it they probably make it. You can buy it fresh and take it home to freeze, or buy it already frozen. Or, if you're like me and have a sweet tooth, just devour their muffins and baked goods and stand there with a smile on your face. I probably had chocolate in my teeth, but I didn't care.

www.thesensitivebaker.com
you can also find them on twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment