Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Goal (and some History)

My first post!  I've been wanting to start a blog for some time.  I decided to start this blog as a way to communicate and hopefully help others who are gluten free, and discuss living a healthy, gluten free life.

I've always had a pretty healthy diet, even before going gluten-free. No soda, not much fast food.  But like many, I'd eat way too many carbs - many of them coming from gluten. That all changed when I finally found the solution to all of the ailments I'd had throughout my lifetime. But finding nutritious gluten free foods can be challenging; many have more calories and less nutrients. So most of my posts will be about recipes starting with fresh, nutritious whole foods.  I don't eat much processed stuff - although I'll admit tonight I had a mac and cheese craving so..... hey, we all need some comfort food from time to time.

In my high school years I seemed to have anxiety and digestive problems, which then developed into a mild depression. Since the age of 14 I've gotten strep throat several times a year, have taken too many antibiotics, and this has affected my health greatly. This and other illnesses have seemed like a black cloud looming over me.  At the age of 32 I ended up in the hospital, where they could not find why I had fluid in my lung and extremely painful back spasms for more than 3 months.  I attribute all of this to gluten.  One day while searching online for a solution to all of my symptoms and illnesses (doctors were no help), I had an "a-ha!" moment.  Celiac disease and gluten intolerance.  All of my symptoms pointed to it: joint pain, fatigue, brain-fog, depression and anxiety, and digestive problems. Within a week of going GF, my symptoms started to lessen.

For about a year now I've been eating gluten free.  Being a newbie, I've had my share of trial and error on foods that I thought were gluten free, restaurant and social frustrations, and complete amazement of how many people know nothing about Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance (I've had people ask me if bread had wheat in it!) So my goal for this blog is to (1) help those who are newly diagnosed or just want to learn about new foods and healthy recipes (2) review (mostly) greater Los Angeles restaurants and products and (3) have some discussions about what its like to live gluten free in the United States, where there is still no manufacturing/labeling regulations for gluten.

Here's to living healthy and gluten free! Reviews, recipes and discussions to follow.....

2 comments:

  1. Although it's your first post - you've got to start somewhere! Keep those blog updates coming! I think it would be great to hear about the transition you've made over the past year as you've gone gluten-free, what's been challenging, what compromises have you made or have you found alternatives (like the Mac'n'Cheese) that make your sensitivity manageable. We'd love to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, thank you for the advice and tips - much appreciated!! I think you're right - It would be good to provide more insight. As we know it can be a challenge to manage this diet and lifestyle; writing about this can help people know they are not alone which is what I want to accomplish. Please check out my next blog where I will talk more about this subject.

    On the reviews side....I will also be blogging about my experience at Petco Park (San Diego Padres Ballpark) and their gluten free options.

    ReplyDelete