Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gluten Free Snack Ideas

If you've read my blog, then you know by now that I enjoy cooking and opt to eat whole, healthy and naturally gluten free foods. However, there are times when I want a fast and healthy snack or breakfast that isn't going to take long to prepare.  Here are some of my favorite gluten free, (and many dairy and sugar free), bites and snacks.

  • Organic peanut butter and sliced Granny Smith apples. You can drizzle honey or agave for some sour and salty sweetness. Also good is banana with any kind of nut butter. 
  • Smoothies. I like almond milk with blended organic coconut butter, frozen mixed berries, vanilla bean and a dash of agave syrup. Make sure to add in the coconut butter through the top of the blender while running, otherwise the cold will cause the butter to harden and will not mix thoroughly.
  • Avocado halved, sprinkled with sea salt, lime, crushed black pepper and Tapatio. Or, add a few tablespoons of pico de gallo. Good healthy fats will keep you full. Eat with a spoon! This is one of my favorite go-to snacks.
  • Almond meal muffins or pancakes. I buy almond meal at Trader Joes or Whole Foods, and add vanilla, eggs, cinnamon and whatever fruit you want. You can also make your own almond meal. Good source of protein and vitamin E. And since I brought up almonds.....
  • .....Nuts! I love raw or roasted almonds, a handful of walnuts or macadamias - chocolate covered are good if you can eat sugar. I like to buy raw almonds and roast them in the oven myself; they taste better to me, maybe because of their freshness. And it fills the house with a wonderful aroma.
  • Chocolate lover but don't want to eat a lot of sugar?  Get 70-85% dark chocolate - I like Trader Joe's or Lindt dark chocolate. You can mix it up and eat it with a handful of nuts, or make mini peanut butter "bites" by spreading nut butter between a few small blocks. 
  • KIND Bars are my favorite when I cheat (no sugar for me most of the time). They have many flavors - my picks are the Cranberry Almond and Almond Cashew Flax. The Peanut Butter and Strawberry bar tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  The lowest sugar version is the Nut Medley.
  • Two spoonfuls of coconut butter. (By now you are seeing a trend and know I am a nut butter freak. It's one of the best sources of protein and healthy fats out there, and keeps you full.) I like Artisana
Here's more:

  • Fresh cut veggies and homemade ranch dressing. For netter nutrition, homemade or store-bought hummus will add protein and fiber and make your snack stick with you longer.
  • Roll-ups: sliced meat, cheese, pickle spear and spicy brown or Dijon mustard
  • Organic cheese and gluten free crackers. I like Schar and Crunchmaster brands. Rice crackers are good too.
  • Gluten free cereal. I like Chex or Envirokids brands. Milk, or almond/coconut milk with blueberries or freeze dried strawberries. Nom Nom.
  • Hard-boiled eggs are one of nature's best protein-filled snacks! I grab one of these on my way to work along with a Kind bar and coffee.
  • Sliced fruit - I like a mixture of blueberries, strawberries and kiwi fruit. Try a grapefruit, orange, and strawberry salad with chopped mint. Very refreshing.
  • Tortilla chips - I like the  Food Should Taste Good brand in jalapeno or sweet potato flavors.  No artificial flavors or MSG/yeasts.  Try some hummus with these. 
  • Kozy Shack sugar free tapioca or chocolate pudding if you can have dairy.  They use inulin which is a natural root fructose sugar. Maybe add in some raspberries, blueberries or strawberries?
  • Cookies - I like Trader Joes gluten free gingersnaps. I've recently discovered the Gluten Free Goddess cookies sold in the areas of Venice and Santa Monica. She is an amazing baker and her blog is great, too. I think you can order her baked goods on her website if you aren't local. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. 
  •  Tea of coffee.  Sometimes you're not really hungry and just need something to sip on while reading a book or watching the boob tube. I like Yogi Tea organic ginger tea. It soothes an upset tummy, too. 
Okay, all this food talk is making me hungry!  Off to make some almond meal raspberry peach muffins! I'm looking forward to spreading a little butter on top of a warm, straight from the oven treat.

Go make yourself a snack!


Gluten Free Chickadee

No comments:

Post a Comment