Sunday, October 2, 2011

Coconut Curry Soup with Sweet Potato

I love Thai food. Sweet, spicy, tangy - there are so many flavors in one bite.  I especially love coconut milk. Coconut is known for having the good kinds of saturated fats that promote heart health, boosting your immune system, and increased metabolism. The lauric acid in coconuts has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, too. Coconut milk is so versatile, and since I can't eat dairy right now, I use it in a lot of ways I would milk - baking, smoothies, and coffee (SoDelicious makes a good coconut ice cream, too.) And since I'm not eating much sugar, either, I find its subtle sweetness satisfies my sweet tooth.

One of my favorite recipes right now is Thai coconut curry soup. Now that fall is on its way, this will be one of the comfort foods I plan to make when I can snuggle up on my couch with a good book, enjoy a bowl, and warm my bones.

Tip: Use full fat coconut milk, as low fat doesn't give enough flavor in my opinion.  Fats are an essential part of our diet.  The low-fat fad is over, didn't you know?

2 T olive oil or coconut oil
2 medium chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups organic free range chicken broth
1 can full fat coconut milk
half yellow onion, diced
julienned red bell pepper
4-6 T fish sauce
1 T freshly grated ginger root
1 clove minced garlic
1 small minced Thai chili
1 tablespoon curry powder (I use McCormick but you could use a yellow curry paste)
2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (red potatoes will do as well)
dash turmeric
juice of 2 limes
chopped cilantro for garnish

In a large pot on medium heat, add oil.  When hot, add in onion and bell pepper and cook until it starts to become tender, just a few minutes. Add garlic, Thai chili, ginger and chicken, and cook for a few more minutes to start incorporating the flavors. Lower heat to medium-low and add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and remaining ingredients, except lime juice and cilantro. Cook at medium-low, let simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are somewhat tender but not fall apart. When almost ready, add juice of limes to taste.  You may want to add more or less - I find I like a lot of lime juice to give it that tanginess.  And if you can have sugar, you may want to add in a bit of brown sugar, but I find it's delicious without it.

I might also add in a bit of cayenne if the Thai chilies don't give it enough kick, or if I don't have them on hand. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.

If you are like me you will have 2 or more bowls and go into a food coma.

You'll have to forgive me for the stock photo, but the pictures I took were accidentally erased from my hard drive, and I couldn't let a good recipe go to waste just because of this!

1 comment: