Monday, July 18, 2011

A Local Cafe With Gluten Free Options - Marie et Cie



Sometimes finding a decent gluten free meal, snack or goodie on the go can be challenging. For example, today my boyfriend wanted to go to a cafe to get some writing done and asked if I'd like to join him. I hadn't eaten lunch yet, so I needed a cafe or diner that provided a casual atmosphere where we could hang out for a while, but also had something I could nibble on.

Located in Valley Village on the corner of Colfax and Riverside Drive is an eclectic Parisian family-owned cafe called Marie et Cie. They offer sandwiches, pastries and snacks from local artisans, some being gluten-free. Most items are health-conscious; they like to use natural sweeteners such as agave and use local, organic ingredients whenever available to reduce their carbon footprint. They also sell organic fair trade coffees and teas. It's a great place to come and relax, have a bite to eat, write, surf the web and even people watch. They also have a gift shop and furnishings section where you can find unique items.

We arrived midday and just in time before the line went out the door. Looking at their refrigerated and pastry case, I saw many gluten free options: grape leaves stuffed with rice, tomatoes and olive oil, gluten free cookies and gluten free scones. I think they even had crustless quiches. Yay!  This is the place for me.

I ordered a chai tea and a couple of grape leaves (which turned out to be darn good) and pulled up a chair so I could work on my blog. About 10 minutes later, I just had to go back and buy a Linzer cookie I was eyeing earlier.  The cookie was made with almond flour, a touch of maple syrup and thumb printed with a gooey gob of raspberry jam, one of my favorites. The cookie was huge, and I tried to eat only half, but I hadn't had sweets in a while and couldn't help myself from devouring all of it.  Smiles.



There's something about a local mom and pop type establishment that makes it more appealing than your every day chain.  I know its nice to be able to have consistency and know the product you are getting, but sometimes, you come across a family owned establishment that just makes you feel lucky to have it in your neighborhood.  Maybe its a sense of community. Or maybe its the gluten free sweets.  I think its a bit of both.


Marie et Cie


No comments:

Post a Comment