Saturday, July 2, 2011

Celiac with Yeast and Sugar Sensitivity

This last week my boyfriend and I have had family visiting from out of state, and I've been a bit loose with my diet, and have paid the price.  Not that I've eaten any gluten, but I've also been eating yeast and sugar free for a while - and this is where I have been slacking. You see, I think the damage caused by gluten and antibiotics in the past have affected my intestinal health. I'm feelings the affects tonight - sore joints, moodiness and fatigue, and inflammation in my lung where I think I have yeast overgrowth. I start to feel the affects of this about 1-2 days after I deviate from my diet.

As if the gluten free diet wasn't challenging enough, the yeast and sugar free makes it even harder.  Tonight I am filled with frustration and can feel the tears welling up as I write this.  But I can't feel sorry for myself for long. I have to suck it up and realize that I can be strong and fix this by eating healthier.  Some people have cancer or other life threatening diseases. Not that there isn't a seriousness to this, but I hope you know what I mean.

To give you a back ground about me - a couple of years ago I ended up in the hospital with a chest tube in my lung to remove a large amount of fluid. I was also having serious back muscle spasms. The doctors couldn't figure out where it came from - no fungus or bacteria.  A virus? Who knows.

Months later when I just wasn't fully recovering, I had an "a-ha" moment and started eating gluten free, where I immediately started getting better. Significantly less brain fog, joint pain, and inflammation, and no more fatigue. But its been an uphill battle learning the ins and outs of this lifestyle - reading labels, finding restaurants that will accommodate me, and accidentally getting glutened. Its tough out there.

And now I realize that my yeast and sugar issues are worse than I realized.  Sigh. So now I'm starting a strict yeast-free diet as well. I can do it!!!  Reeling in the positivity  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment