Monday, August 15, 2011

Schooby Dooby to Ruby's Diner - Udi's Gluten Free Buns!

 Last week the man and I went clothes shopping at the Citadel Outlets (I LOVE the Maz Azria store there) near downtown Los Angeles. We were looking for a place to power our batteries before our afternoon shopping spree.  Jeremy (the man) suggested Ruby's, which is also at the outlets.  I was a bit hesitant, due to it being a "burger and fries" type of establishment. For those of you that live in Southern California or the few other states they are in, you may know about Ruby's Diner.  I used to get their chili dogs when I had junk food cravings. Their breakfasts and salads are quite good, too. But when I went gluten free about a year ago, I cut out many restaurants because I was unsure about eating at these places due to cross contamination issues, and lack of variety for someone like me. Ruby's was one of these places.

But when I sat down and looked at the menu, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Ruby's now carries Udi's hamburger buns!   Yahoo! I ordered a turkey burger with pepper jack, bacon and avocado.  I love me some avocado.  But what was even more amazing was that I was sitting in a restaurant eating an actual burger on a BUN!  I was in heaven and my boyfriend could tell. I savored every bite.

The staff was very accommodating.  I talked to the manager when ordering to ensure that not only would I have a gluten free burger, that they would assure me that they would take extra precautions to prevent cross-contamination.  I saw him communicate with the kitchen which made me feel quite comfortable.

I was a happy girl.



As a reminder, whenever eating out, even if a dining establishment advertises gluten free items, I highly recommend talking to the wait staff, or the manager if you feel better doing so, to ensure the kitchen is trained and/or is willing to ensure there will be no cross contamination. Many gluten free items are becoming more available, but remember that some think that this is due to the health trend that some are practicing, and not because they are actually intolerant to gluten or wheat.  Always communicate your needs.

Ruby's Diners are in California, Texas, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Hawaii and New Jersey.  they advertise the gluten free buns on their website, but call ahead first to make sure they carry it at the location you plan to visit.

If you are not familiar with Udi's, can out their website of wonderful gluten free foods here.

No comments:

Post a Comment