Thursday, February 23, 2012

Raw Cashew Cream Cheesecake

I tried the Earth Cafe raw vegan cheesecakes recently, and I really enjoyed them. But due to my gut dysbiosis, my body was not happy with the sugar. So, resourceful me, I decided to make my own.





I've been really curious about making cashew cream. You can use cashew cream for a "cheesecake" as in this recipe, for cashew milk to use for cereal or in sauces and soups, and even cashew whipped cream.  The high fat content and mild taste allows for a substitute in many recipes where butter, milk or cream are included.  Those of you may be wary,  thinking this isn't very healthy due to the high calorie and fat content.  But, if you eat paleo or low carb, your body tends to metabolize all of the fats you eat. And coconut oil is a healthy fat. Take it from me - when I started eating Paleo/GAPS, I lost about 7 pounds. I have been eating this way for more than 6 months, and I have not gained weight.  In fact, I have lost fat and firmed up.

I'm happy to say it was really easy to make the cream. I soaked some cashews overnight on a Friday, and then Saturday morning I made my lemon cheesecake.  I especially like it with a high quality vanilla bean; the better quality your ingredients the yummier it will be.  And I also really like the cinnamon in the crust.

So good I already cut a slice before photographing!


What You'll Need 

1 pie plate or cheesecake springform pan

Crust
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup almond flour or meal
1/4 c unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup melted ghee or coconut oil (give or take)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
Sweetener of your choice (I add some stevia)
1 Tsp himalayan sea salt

In a bowl with pastry cutter or in a food processor, combine above ingredients until crumbly consistency. Press into bottom of pie pan. 

Another option if you want more of a traditional crust: add 1 egg to the crust mixture and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Let cool before you add filling

Filling
3 C organic raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 C organic coconut oil or coconut butter (I like Artisana)
rind and juice of 2 lemons (or whatever suits your taste)
1 vanilla bean or 2 Tsp vanilla extract
Stevia or other sweetener to taste

Add all ingredients to food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Pour onto crust and store in the freezer for 2 hours until firm. 

You can always substitute lemon for another fruit of your choice - strawberries, limes - even add cocoa powder. The options are endless.

I guarantee this won't last long in your refrigerator. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment